Saturday, February 10, 2007

some quotes to share...

Melissa, one of my friends who climbed the fence at Fort Benning sent these quotes. Also the rather long one is from a friend...all have helped me, touched me, inspried me. I pass them on for whatever it is worth.

Also, I wanted to put out the reminder that the PeaceMakers Potluck will happen on Feb. 18 at 6:00 at Hartford Coffee Company. This is on the corner of Hartford and Roger...Roger is right off Arsenal between Grand and Kingshighway. Please come and celebrate this wonderful group of peacemakers. I will have a calender there and a list of needs...while I am gone.

The first person of our group got her report date. Alice Gerard will report to Danbury Federal Work Camp on March 21st. The lawyers assure me that I should expect my letter with where and when to report sooner than later. It seems we usually get processed within a week or so of each other. I think there is more anxiety over not knowing and waiting than knowing and planning.

Anyhow, here are the quotes...hope they inspire your heart.

Tina

The quote from Mary Mondello...
"Almost a hundred years ago, the philosopher Fredrich von Hugel described how we progress towards God. He wrote of an initial institutional stage, followed by a critical stage and culminating in what he called a mystical stage. By "mystical" he didn't mean magic or heavenly voices, but rather this: age make us realize that we have seen it all, and brings us to know that good and evil, like the wheat and cockle of the parable, coexist not merely in countries and institutions, but in each of us. Pitch darkness and pure light are seldom the order of the day, but we learn to live with both, light emerging out of darkness. We do the best we can, and are ready to renounce the seductions of having the perfect formulations of reality, or the perfect formula for everyone's life.

In the mystical phase we still carry with us the institutional phase: we still love the sights and sounds of worship well carried out, and the sense of participating in a great body of believers. We have not left the critical phase behind, but carry it with us: we use our heads about our religion, and have no illusions about the weaknesses of Jesus' followers- after all, Peter, the first Pope, had to live with the memory of denying the Lord publicly, again and again. But when we have argued about all the great questions of human existence, especially the mystery of evil, we realise that we rely more on the gift of faith than on clear-cut reason."


Quotes from Melissa: "It was here in jail that Sri Aurobindo had significant spiritual
experiences, he became aware of a divine inner guidance and also
realised
the omnipresence of [the Source] even in a darkened prison cell."

chant like, gathering momentum:
A prison, a monastery a cloister, a cave
prison ~ monastery ~ cloister ~ cave
prison, monastery, cloister, cave
prison monastery cloister cave
prison monastery cloister cave

http://filmforum.org/films/silence.html

watch this clip... the Source is with you

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable,
I
tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free
because
I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
~Robert A.
Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress


"No charter of freedom will be worth looking at which does not ensure
the
same measure of freedom for the minorities as for the majority." M. K.
Gandhi

"My patriotism is not an exclusive thing. It is all-embracing, and I
should
reject that patriotism which sought to mount the distress or
exploitation of
other nationalities." M. K. Gandhi


"The spirit of resistance to Government is so valuable at certain
times,
that I wish it to be kept alive." -Thomas Jefferson

No comments: